But while Nugent has taken some measure of responsibility for his “subhuman mongrel” remark, the comment is just a drop in the bucket compared to his long history of racism, sexism, homophobia, Islamophobia, animus towards immigrants, and propensity to use violence-tinged language.
Nugent’s racist characterization of the president received widespread attention and created problems for the campaign of Republican Texas gubernatorial candidate Greg Abbott after Abbott tapped Nugent to participate in campaign events.
Appearing on The Ben Ferguson Show, Nugent apologized, though “not necessarily to the president” for his “subhuman mongrel” comment, then attacked the president as a lying, law-breaking racist who engages in Nazi tactics.
Nugent said he “did cross the line” and “I do apologize, not necessarily to the president, but on behalf of much better men than myself” such as Gov. Rick Perry, Greg Abbott, Rep. Louie Gohmert, Texas Republican Sid Miller, and Sen. Ted Cruz. Nugent added: “I apologize for using the street fighter terminology of ‘subhuman mongrel’ instead of just using more understandable language such as ‘violator of his oath to the Constitution,’ the liar that he is.” Nugent continued to attack Obama, claiming that the president — as evidenced by the “Trayvon Martin situation” — “judges by color of skin instead of content of character.”
Ferguson later asked Nugent if he was offering “a real apology” to the president. Nugent simply responded, “yes,” and then moved on to claiming Obama is violating “so many laws” and has an “anti-American” agenda.
Nugent also connected his opponents to the Nazis, claiming that the left is “such masters of smoke and mirrors, and deception and fraud and the Saul Alinsky, Joseph Goebbels, you know, propaganda ministry.”
Regardless of the sincerity of his apology for the “subhuman mongrel” remark, here are just a few examples of the worst comments that Nugent has yet to answer for:
1. Nugent On Then-First Lady Hillary Clinton: “You Probably Can’t Use The Term ‘Toxic Cunt’ In Your Magazine, But That’s What She Is.” From a 1994 interview with Denver, CO music magazine Westword:
About Hillary Clinton: “You probably can’t use the term `toxic cunt’ in your magazine, but that’s what she is. Her very existence insults the spirit of individualism in this country. This bitch is nothing but a two-bit whore for Fidel Castro.” [Westword, 7/27/94]
2. Nugent: “Piece Of Shit” Obama Should “Suck On My Machine Gun.” From a 2007 concert where an assault-rifle-wielding Nugent also referred to then-Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton as “a worthless bitch”:
Obama, he’s a piece of shit, and I told him to suck on my machine gun. Let’s hear it for him. And then I was in New York. I said, “Hey, Hillary, you might want to ride one of these into the sunset, you worthless bitch. Since I’m in California, how about [Senator] Barbara Boxer [D-CA], she might want to suck on my machine gun. And [Senator] Dianne Feinstein [D-CA], ride one of these you worthless whore. Any questions? [Ted Nugent via LiveLeak.com, accessed 10/1/12]
3. Nugent: Deceased Florida Teenager Travyon Martin Was A “Dope Smoking, Racist Gangsta Wannabe.” [Rare, 7/14/13]
4. Nugent’s Reprehensible Commentary On The African American Community. During a 2013 appearance on conspiracy theorist Alex Jones radio show, Nugent claimed that African-Americans could fix “the black problem” if they just put their “heart and soul into being honest, law-abiding, [and] delivering excellence at every move in your life.” [Genesis Communication Network, The Alex Jones Show, 7/16/13, viaMedia Matters]
5. More Inexcusable Commentary From Nugent On The African-American Community. In a WND column, Nugent wrote that his claim Travyon Martin was a violent person was evidence of “the same mindless tendency to violence we see in black communities across America.” [WND, 7/24/13]
6. Nugent Compares Obama To A Nazi. During a March 2013 appearance on 9-11 truther Pete Santilli’s radio show, Nugent compared Obama to a Nazi who kills his Jewish neighbors, stating the president is like “a German in 1938 pretending to respect the Jews and then going home and putting on his brown shirt and forcing his neighbors onto a train to be burned to death.” [Media Matters, 3/22/13]
7. Nugent: Civil Rights Leaders Jackson And Sharpton Speak In “Ebonic Mumbo-Jumbo.” In a column for birther website WND, Nugent claimed that if a Republican president had the same drone policy as the Obama administration, “Jesse Jackson and Al Not-So-Sharpton would be lisping their ebonic mumbo-jumbo that the policy and the president are racist and bigoted.” [Media Matters, 2/11/13]
8. Nugent: “I’m Beginning To Wonder If It Would Have Been Best Had The South Won The Civil War.”From a column for The Washington Times:
Because our legislative, judicial and executive branches of government hold the 10th Amendment in contempt, I’m beginning to wonder if it would have been best had the South won the Civil War. Our Founding Fathers’ concept of limited government is dead. [TheWashington Times, 7/6/12]
9. Nugent: Real Americans Are “Working Hard, Playing Hard, White Motherfucking Shit Kickers Who Are Independent.” From a 1995 interview with Bob Mack of Grand Royal magazine:
NUGENT: You know how many times I’ve watched MTV? Once in my fucking life.
BOB MACK: You got to be on top of these things.
NUGENT: I don’t have to. You know what I’m on top of? I’m on top of a real America with working hard, playing hard, white motherfucking shit kickers, who are independent and get up in the morning.
MACK: Aren’t there any blacks?
NUGENT: Show me one. Show me one. [Grand Royal magazine via YouTube, accessed2/21/14]
10. Nugent: African-American Rappers Appearing On MTV Are “Big Uneducated Greasy Black Mongrels.” From a recording posted on YouTube, supposedly “from his radio show [in] 1994”:
NUGENT: MTV is a liberal lump of hippy snot. They are embarrassing. Those big uneducated greasy black mongrels on there, they call themselves rap artists. Excuse me? During a bad bloody case of diarrhea, I got more soul than those guys do at the peak of their life. That’s not music. What do you slap some electronic noisemaker and then grunt to it? And this is like soul? No, excuse me, you want to know what soul is? No wonder James Brown went to prison, no wonder Wilson Pickett went to jail, no wonder Chuck Barry went to jail. They’re embarrassed by their black brothers. That’s not soul. That’s not cool. That’s stupid. [Ted Nugent via YouTube, accessed 2/21/14]
11. Nugent: “If Islam Is A Religion Of Peace, Then I’m A Malnourished, Tofu-Eating Anti-Hunter.” From a 2010 Washington Times column addressing controversy over the planned construction of an Islamic community center near Ground Zero in New York City:
Killing more Muslim terror punks would make the world a more peaceful place to live — and safer for more Muslims — and we all know Islam is the religion of peace.
Let’s call a spade a spade here. If Islam is the religion of peace, then I’m a malnourished, tofu-eating anti-hunter. [The Washington Times, 8/19/10]
12. Nugent On Homosexuality: “How Can We Offend Guys That Actually Have Anal Sex?” During a 2000 interview on Fox News’ Hannity and Colmes:
I got to tell you, guys that have sex with each other’s anal cavities — how can we offend guys that actually have anal sex? Don’t you think that might offend some of us who think that’s despicable?” [Hannity and Colmes via Nexis, 6/29/00]
13. Ted Nugent On Suspected Undocumented Immigrants: “I’d Like To Shoot Them Dead.” From a 2008 appearance on Fox News’ Hannity and Colmes:
ALAN COLMES, CO-HOST: You want to kill on sight anybody who illegally comes into the country. Just shoot them, right?
NUGENT: If they’re armed, and they’re attacking our country, yes.
COLMES: Well, they wouldn’t be attacking. You don’t know if someone coming over the border — would you just shoot anybody coming over the border who you suspect of being illegal?
NUGENT: In an unauthorized entry, armed, like they are right now, invading our country, I’d like to shoot them dead.
COLMES: Just shoot them dead. All right. [Hannity and Colmes via Nexis, 10/13/08]