Alex Constantine - September 30, 2013
AN SAS soldier’s claims that the elite regiment murdered Princess Diana are “utterly convincing.”
The former sniper’s estranged wife has informed Scotland Yard she is completely sure he is telling the truth.Her total belief in Soldier N emerged as she was interviewed at length at a secret location.She told Yard detectives how the veteran soldier had spoken about the involvement of an SAS hit squad in the car crash that killed Diana and her boyfriend Dodi Fayed on several occasions.Significantly, she said that the sergeant’s allegations came while they were on good terms and before their marriage had hit the rocks.
One source said: “This was not said to scare or threaten her. It came out when there was no marital strife and when they were still friends.
“She was utterly convinced he was telling the truth when he said the SAS was involved in Diana and Dodi Fayed’s deaths.”
Soldier N apparently claimed Diana and Dodi’s driver Henri Paul were blinded by an intense flash of light moments before he lost control of their Mercedes. The claim appears to support testimony from an ex-spy at the inquest into Diana and Dodi’s death.
The former MI6 agent told the hearing that he was aware of a colleague’s proposal to kill Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic by using a strobe light in a tunnel to distract his driver, causing a crash.
And he revealed the existence of a shadowy unit within the SAS known as The Increment which comprises troops from the SAS and SBS for the purposes of carrying out lethal operations on behalf of MI6.
Diana, Dodi and driver Paul died when their car smashed into a pillar in the Pont de L’Alma underpass in Paris in August 1997. A bodyguard, Trevor Rees-Jones, was critically injured but survived.
His former friend, Nightingale, also admitted the charges and got 18 months when he first appeared at a military court last year. Following a public campaign, he was released and the conviction quashed.
However, Sgt Nightingale faced a fresh trial at the military court in Bulford, Wiltshire, in July, when he was found guilty and sentenced to two years suspended for 12 months.
He was convicted largely on the sworn testimony of Soldier N who was a key prosecution witness.Allegations that the SAS was involved in Diana and Dodi’s deaths emerged soon afterwards.
Police insisted the sensational information was being analysed as part of a “scoping exercise” and no new investigation has been launched. Yesterday, a Yard spokeswoman said: “The information is still being assessed.”
Dodi’s father, former Harrods owner Mohamed Al Fayed, has not commented publicly on the claims. But it is understood the family would like to see a full-scale investigation into the allegations. Mr. Al Fayed has always maintained that Diana, 36, and Dodi, 42, along with 41-year-old Paul, were killed by the British Establishment which then launched a massive cover-up.
Soldier N has now been discharged from the Army. The letter by his mother-in-law listed a series of bizarre and often sinister allegations about his behaviour. On one occasion, he is said to have threatened to make his wife “disappear” and allegedly bragged to his in-laws that he had killed women and children. After the Diana allegations first surfaced, he was branded a “loose cannon” who could not be believed even though he was a “witness of truth” for the Crown in the Nightingale case. But Army friends have rallied round Soldier N. The decorated special forces veteran has been welcomed into the SAS Association – the exclusive club for former members of the elite unit – despite his conviction and dischage.
- EXCLUSIVE: Cover-up scandal as vital evidence over Princess Diana’s car were not revealed
- EXCLUSIVE: SAS launch probe over sensational Princess Diana death claim
- Author defends story of Princess Diana's romance with former lover
- MI6 and SAS 'united in Princess Diana death plot'
- Royals pay tribute to Diana in secret
- 'Diana had no feelings for Charles - she was spiteful' says Prince Philip's cousin