Fiona Hamilton, London Correspondent
Times Online } September 24, 2009
The BNP’s representative on the London Assembly is facing a six-month ban after he fabricated murder stories to increase fear of knife crime. ... An independent investigation found that Mr Barnbrook’s comments on YouTube about non-existent murders had showed “wilful disregard for the truth”. He said that he had got his words “jumbled up”. ...
In a video, which was posted on YouTube in May last year, Mr Barnbrook said: “Three weeks ago, there was a murder of a young girl. We don’t know who’s done it, her girlfriend was attacked inside an educational institute.
“Again, two weeks ago there was another attack by knives on the streets of Barking and Dagenham where two people were murdered.”
The Metropolitan police confirmed that there had been no murders or serious incidents in the time period cited, and that murders in the area were actually decreasing.
During a joint investigation by the GLA and the council, Mr Barnbrook admitted to investigators that he was aware that his comments were inaccurate.
He was accused of making up the murders because knife crime was an emotive issue in the capital at the time. Valerie Rush, a Labour cabinet member at Barking and Dagenham Council, who made a complaint about Mr Barnbrook, said he had “openly and outrageously” lied to “whip up fears in the London community”.
Mr Barnbrook has since changed his position and yesterday told The Times that his comments should be excused because he had dyslexia. ...